Monday, October 17, 2011

Got Meds?

Excited and anxious all at the same time...picked up my meds today!!  Spice and I had our RN consult last Monday to discuss calendars, medications, shots, suppositories, lions, tigers and bears...OH MY!!  It was a great consultation with my favorite RN at the Dr's office.  She had patience with all of my questions and helped lighten the mood even.  Since the saline sono and trial transfer appointment - I knew the meds were going to be lower doses but not nearly as low as she described.  We were so excited to hear that the cost of the meds was going to be maybe half of what we budgeted for.  I'm looking at this news as a good sign that we won't have to empty the wallet (at least yet) on medications.  We took a huge sigh of relief and the aforementioned fabulous RN also had a bag of goodies for us.  She had all kinds of boxes of those little "white bullets" (my nickname for them..LOL) that are not pleasant since they are coochie suppositories but if it helps make a better home for a baby...bring it on!  She also had 300 IU of Follistim and then a Follistim pen.  I will only need to take 75 at a time for the Follistim so I only had to order 1 additional box.  I had originally asked the Dr if they had any samples and she said no...so now I know who runs the show...Ha!  So besides the freebies above I had to order:

Follistim - 1 300 IU cartridge at $248
Ganirelix - 4 shots at $410
Menopur (saline/powder mixer) - 10 vials at $690
Ovidrel - 2 shots at $190
Tetracycline - 16 caps at $1.80 (covered by insurance)
Valium - 1 pill at $1.15 (covered by insurance)
 Total expense for IVF meds so far: $1541

Vivelle DOT patches may be needed after the transfer so a possible extra $146
Additional "white bullets" may be necessary depending on my levels so that would be an extra $288

While the RN was talking about all of these meds, I was rapidly taking notes while Spice paid close attention.  She will be the primary giver of the shots.  Although, Day 1...she will give me the first shot of Menopur at 6am and then I have to do the next shot of Follistim at 6pm (12 hours apart) all by myself [insert panic].  I will have to put on my game face and just do it but I'm sure it will take a few wind ups before I stick the needle in.  My goodness! Ha!!  I can do this!  Before the shots officially start I do go in for a baseline U/S on Thursday morning.  Hopefully all looks good still since the BCPs ended yesterday.  Then...shots, shots, shots, shots, shots, shots everybody! (do you know the song? LOL) on Friday.  First US/BW appt on the 25th then 27th and then??? depends on what's happening up in there.  She talked a potential retrieval around Nov 4th.  WOW...time flew by! 

Well that was a bunch of "data"...congratulations to those that made it this far! I should of put a disclaimer at the beginning...

Need to plug in this puppy so I don't loose my post...plus I need to check my fantasy football scores...was not looking good when I started.  Take care everyone!

P.S. Spice and I were reading the side affects of one of the meds...what's up with the black, hairy tongue?  Uh no thanks!  As if me being hormonal wasn't bad enough for my dear Spice...she definitley doesn't want to get some of that!  LOL!  I think it was the tetracycline stuff...weird.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I wish you would have let me know what you were getting--I have extra menopur and ganerelix, plus some vivelle patches--would you want those if you get prescribed them? Not to bug you, but I HATE to think of them just expiring in my closet when someone could use them. The shots aren't so bad! Put ice on the spot before you do them and you won't even feel it going in. And I most definitely did NOT get a scary tongue--hopefully you won't, either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so excited for you both!!!!! I hate needles but was able to do all of the shots myself except for the trigger shot. After the first time, it takes all of the anxiety out of it - I just took my time and a deep breath and to be honest they really don't hurt. Our nurse gave us a bag of free meds too - thank goodness our cost was only about $2500 of the possible $5000 it could have been so you are getting off great with $1541 :) keep us posted along the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. F & W - my biggest concern is getting that needle in all the way...I worry that I will bounce it off but I'm sure that really doesnt happen since they are so small and sharp. How come you didn't on the trigger? Were yours muscle shots? I'm sure I will do fine...just need to get a few under my belt. Starts tomorrow!! Woot! I do feel truly lucky for only spending $1500 on meds...I budgeted for 4k so for now the extra money is going to be saved in case a FET is needed. Thanks for the comment!

    hopefully you will see this...

    ReplyDelete